Per Toastmasters Governing Documents, each year every Toastmasters club must elect new club officers for the following year. The official record of club officers is the Toastmasters International database, so this must be updated after each officer election and any time during the program year that officers change for any reason. This document explains how and why to do it.
Why do this?
Since the TI database is the official record of Toastmasters information, your new slate of officers is not “real” until you update your club’s officer information in the database.
To enable club officers to access important information about the club via the TI website, such as Pathways Basecamp and Club Central.
- Only officers listed at Toastmasters International can get DCP4 credit for officer training.
- To complete Distinguished Club Program (DCP) Goal #10, clubs must post their incoming officer info at TI by June 30.
- To enable officers to be contacted for important Toastmasters business.
- Only current club officers, as listed in the database, can access your club’s Club Central.
When to do it
Officers are regularly changed in once a year in clubs that meet every other week; and twice a year in clubs that meet weekly. If you’re in a club that meets weekly, you need to update your registered officers in June and December; if you’re in a club that meets every other week, you need to update your officers in May only.
Your club can also change officers if you have significant changes in the roster of your club. If members move to another state, or resign, or are too frequently absent from meetings, you should replace them with active members. You can do this by declaring a seat empty or vacant at a regular business meeting of the club with a quorum of members present — and then you can elect a member to fill that empty role by a vote of the membership of the club at a regular business meeting of the club.
Every club must have at least a President, a Vice-President, and a Secretary to be valid in US law and regulation.
How to do it
There are 2 ways to update your club’s officer list.
Method #1 – through Club Central on Toastmasters.org
The easiest and quickest way is for a club officer to update the list online in Club Central.This can only be done by any, existing club officer, since your club officers are the only ones with access to your club’s Club Central.
- Go to the Toastmasters International website.
- Log into your account. This is the same login you use to get to Pathways.
- Go to your home page. (Hover your mouse over your name at the top and click My Home.
- Scroll down to the Leadership Central section and click the Club Central tile. If you belong to multiple clubs, it will list your clubs and you’ll have to select the club you want to access.
- Scroll down to the Club Management section and click the Club Officer Assignment tile. This brings you to the form where you list your club’s officers. All 7 officer positions are listed and the entry field for each provides a drop down with all your club members.
- Select the appropriate club member for each officer role.
- When finished, be sure to click the SAVE button at the bottom.
Method #2 – by email
The second way is to fill out the PDF form from Toastmasters.org and email this completed form to email@example.com. There may be delays in TI processing this form for you, so be patient. You can save time as well as your time and effort by posting the information yourself in Club Central using method #1, above.
Remember to tell your bank, too
As part of your changeover of officers, one important secondary step is to register the changes in officers with the bank with which you do business. This often requires a special copy of the minutes of the meeting at which the officers were elected, on letterhead, with explicit references to which officers will have signatory access to the account (usually the Treasurer and President, but not always). You can download suitable letterhead from Toastmasters.org.
In Toastmasters service,
Norm Thibodeau, DTM
District Administrative Manager, 2023-2024