The District 53 Council is an administrative unit of Toastmasters International. Its existence is governed by the Governing Documents of Toastmasters International, especially Article IX of the District Administrative Bylaws.
News About District Council
- Call to Annual Business Meeting: April 2023
- October 2022 DC Business Meeting Results
- Joe Grondin, our Keynote!
- Stephanie Roy Joins Website Team
- Register for the D53 Spring Conference!
- Talk Up Toastmasters! from the CGD
- New Year’s Message
- Chief Judge appointed; Rules Clarification
- District 53 appoints Leadership Committee
Future District Council Events
- March 29, 2023, All day: Talk Up Toastmasters!
- April 1, 2023, 9:30 AM: Division C Contests
- April 5, 2023, 7:00 PM: Monthly Members Education Program
- April 9, 2023, 8:30 AM: District Director's Coffee
- May 3, 2023, 7:00 PM: Monthly Members Education Program
- May 6, 2023, 10:45 AM: District 53 Tall Tales Speech Contest
- May 14, 2023, 8:30 AM: District Director's Coffee
- June 7, 2023, 7:00 PM: Monthly Members Education Program
- June 11, 2023, 8:30 AM: District Director's Coffee
- July 9, 2023, 8:30 AM: District Director's Coffee
District Council Meetings
The District Council is required to hold at least two meetings each year. One of these meetings, known as the Annual Meeting of the District Council, is conducted either online or hybrid, and takes place between March 15 and June 1. All other meetings are conducted online. The first online meeting must take place no later than September 30 to approve the District budget and confirm District leader appointments. The notice of electronic vote is sent in writing to all District Council members four (4) weeks in advance of the meeting, and the agenda is posted at least 14 days in advance.
A quorum consists of one-third of all eligible Club Presidents and Vice Presidents Education. A majority of the votes cast is required to pass a motion. In the event that any business is transacted at a District Council meeting when a quorum is not present, the action shall be deemed as valid as if a quorum were present if it is thereafter expressly approved. Approval can be granted by affirmative vote of a majority of the Member Clubs in the District on the basis of two (2) votes per club in writing, personally, by mail, fax, e-mail, electronic transmission, or by any other reasonable means.
Proxies for District Council meetings are not permitted. The Club President and/or Vice President Education of any member club may vote on behalf of the club as its representative. Either club officer may carry the club’s two (2) votes or each of these club officers may carry one (1) vote, as determined by the club membership. The representative from any Member Club in good standing is entitled to a maximum of two (2) votes. District Executive Committee members are entitled to one (1) vote and may cast up to two (2) additional votes as a Club President and/or Vice President Education.
District Executive Committee Meeting
The District Executive Committee meets at least four (4) times each program year. Online participation options must be made available for remote District leaders, if needed. Online meetings occur as recommended by the District Director and are agreed upon by a majority of the District Executive Committee. Notice of electronic voting is provided to the District Executive Committee members four (4) weeks in advance of the vote. The meeting agenda is posted at least 14 days in advance.