District 53 held its International Speech contest on the morning of May 7, 2022 from 9:30 am to 11:30 am.
In the District International Speech contest, one contestant from each of our five Divisions in the District have a speaking period of five to seven minutes to deliver a speech on a topic of their choosing. Each contestant has advanced from a specific club in District 53, and arrives at the stage after competing at the Area level against 3-4 other clubs, and the Division level competing against contestants from four other Areas. The winner of the District International Speech contest then advances to the Region Quarterfinals, and possibly to the International Semifinals and the World Championship of Public Speaking (WCPS).
The winners of the contest were:
- First Place: Amrita Banerjee
- Second Place: Brian David Crawford
- Third Place: Kevin M. Finn
In the interviews following the contest, both the winners and other contestants thanked the judges, audience members and others for the opportunities to grow and learn as speakers and presenters. They reminded the audience that new Toastmasters should take every opportunity that they can get to speak, and that, under the pressure of preparing to speak for an audience, practice brings improvement and gracefulness.
Many thanks to all the contestants, representing the five divisions of District 53:
- Division A: Sandra Weiner, representing Greater Stamford Toastmasters, with a speech titled, “What Next?”
- Division B: Donna Peterson, representing New Dawn Toastmasters, with a speech titled “Lead With Your Heart.”
- Division C: Kevin M. Finn, representing Cedar Hill Toastmasters, with a speech titled, “M-O-M.”
- Division D: Brian David Crawford, representing Speechweavers, with a speech titled, “42.”
- Division E: Amrita Banerjee, representing Bethlehem Club, with a speech titled, “The Choice.”
Our Thanks also go out to our senior functionaries, the Program Quality Director John J. Hogan, and the Contest Chair, Contest Master and Chief Judge, who together assembled the team of more than fourteen functionaries, judges, and back-up leaders who managed the contest behind the scenes.
- Program Quality Director John J. Hogan
- Contest Chair Jennifer Cimilluca
- Contest Master Dave Pelland
- Chief Judge Elizabeth Keeling
and thanks again to all our contest functionaries, judges, and audience members.